The US led invasion of Iraq in 2003 and its ongoing aftermath may be remembered as the worst tragedy of the early 21st century. It is estimated Iraq has witnessed over 1 million excess deaths, 4.2 million injured people and 4.5 million refugees since the invasion.
– How may we understand the current situation in Iraq?
– What were the reasons and interests behind the invasion?
– What is the role of oil and multinational corporations?
– What is the role of the Netherlands?
– May we speak of Western neo-imperialism?
Join us for a lecture and lively discussion with Ali Al-jaberi.
Al-Jaberi is a political scientist and has worked as a lecturer of International Relations and journalist in Iraq.
Exceptionally for this event Joe’s garage will be open from 18:00 so that you can taste our vegan cuisine before the lecture!
The lecture itself will start at 19.00 (please be on time).
Location: Joe’s Garage, Pretoriusstraat 43, 1092 EZ, Amsterdam
Date: Thursday, May 29, 2014
No registration required.
This talk is a part of a tour and has also been held at:
* University College Utrecht – Thursday March 27th
* Institute of Social Studies, the Hague – Thursday April 3th
* Groningen University – Tuesday April 29th